sábado, 3 de marzo de 2012

A little hole in one's spirit.

The Beginning of AfterThe Beginning of After by Jennifer Castle

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Here we go... My official first review of the year. Yep. This is the first. No judging.



Ok...what did I like about this one? For starters the thing that called my attention fisrt was the cover, obviously. It's my kind of cover, bright colors but not that bright; a person is in it but when you really look at her you know there are a million things going through her mind. Not really looking at anything, and you know that, not because you can see that part of the set, no, but because you just know. You've being there. If not, where have you been?! You should be doing your time of day dreaming. Is healthy and helps you with stress. Do not hold that to me, I'm just saying. And well, continuing with the issue at hand, I liked it, as simple as that. I just have the most weird taste, I know, but it's who I am. Can't help it.

Then I read the little overview that comes with books..and just for the record, publishers should think twice before deciding on an overview, sometimes it just makes it too easy for one to make a whole plot out of those few words, it may differ from the actual story but, not that I'm bragging, I have come real close at guessing. Although, many authors still manage to prove me wrong and twist everything and blow my mind.

So friend, if you are still reading, bare with me, I will get to review the book at some point. Promise.



Ok, so if you go some reviews back, you will notice that I don't like the use of spoilers, in fact I avoid them at all costs, and that is exactly what I will try to do with this one because the story really deserves for you to go fresh, clear, unguided ( is that even a word?) because it is another I-lost-my-whole-family story and , Yes! you guess correctly, it has a I'm-dealing-with-grief teeanger, a girl to be exact. 16 years old, Laurel Meisner is living her "after".

But before I continue, keep reading. It may have a looooooot of similar elements to a lot of other novels you've probably read before but this has a twist, that not even I expected to be there. I'll explain further ahead, Just Keep Reading.



Laurel, straight A's student, perfectly normal teenager never realized of what she had until that night that everything was lost. Her mom,her dad and even her little 13 year old brother passed away so suddenly that she didn't even had time to blink. One moment they were the next there were not. And just like that her life changed forever.

But, life being how it is, didn't let Laurel grief by herself. Next door neighbor, David Kaufman, lost somebody too in the very same accident that took Laurel's family to that unknown place you go when you've come to the end of your life. But, as the story evolves from Laurel being dumbstruck by the whole thing, David dropping out of school, she hooking up with some guy, he driving all over the country, and a lot of other situations that make both Laurel and David to face their lives without their love ones, you realize they manage their pain in very different ways.

So, stop it, do not start making ideas, David is mentioned at the very start of the book and you will, like I did, start thinking: "Laurel and David have this secret love for each other that, unfortunely, came to light after the accident and will end up together, happily ever after.The End." NO! Not at all..wich part, I'm not telling, but I can assure you, David plays a VERY VERY different part than what you expect it.



And so on, the story is just that, Laurel dealing with her new life, trying to fill up the whole she suddenly had in the middle of her spirit. David's comings and goings. David's dog, I can't bealive I'm saying it, but this time the pet actually played an important part! And, well,the start of their new improved relationship.

If I continue I'm bound to use the Spoiler alert and I'm not going to fall for that one. But I actually hope you get the whole "The Beginning of After" thing beacuse it took me the whole book, to the very last sentence,to get it. And if you feel like reading it in one sitting, prepare some ice tea, snacks and very strong tissues..you will cry, guaranteed. ;)



If you've already read it, please leave a comment and share this review. THANKS! MUCHAS GRACIAS! MERCI BEAUCOUP!

P.S. Have you told your mom, dad, sister(s)/brother(s) that you love her/him/them today?

P.P.S. That color looks great on you! =)





View all my reviews

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario