sábado, 28 de abril de 2012

The Austen Effect

A Weekend with Mr. Darcy (Austen Addicts #1)A Weekend with Mr. Darcy by Victoria Connelly

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


It was...to put it lightly....a turn off...I was expecting so very much of it. The title, the cover and the overview got my attention immediately, making me put other books I've  putting off reading to read this one..but I can't quite say I regret it because I've gave it 3 stars. So I did like some of it but it wasn't what I wanted. I must confess that my experience with Ms.Austen is quite unexistent..I know! And I walk through life calling myself a reader but it is true, and after this one, maybe my Janeite potential was lost..not for good but for quite some time. I hope. I have been allured by Mr. Darcy's advances,yes, but for the time..I'll prefer to wait.



One of the mayor thing that didn't work for me was the whole thing with Robyn. I never got to like her, to know her and to even agree with the author to pair her up with Dan. What a waste! For most of the book she was complaining about her boyfriend who she admittedly didn't love or like, for that matter. Finds herself in love with Dan, perfection in flesh. But she still make the stupidity of saying yes when said boyfriend proposed to her after a few of embarrassing moments.. And she calls herself CONFUSED! Confused was Lochan and Maya from Tabitha Suzuma's Forbidden when they started feeling the way they felt for each other. Confused was Forrest Gump when Jenny told him about his son. A lot of confused characters have crossed paths with my eyes and imagination, but not adorable Robyn, no, she wasn't confused she was just a fool. A fool I say! Everytime a chapter or paragraph was about her I had to stop and just watch something as deep as Toddlers And Tiaras just for me to be able to survive her, Robyn. Let's just say that she was a secondary character with the dreams of a main one. Not good.

But enough with her. The next thing that killed it for me was the whole Austen thing. I know it is a very Austenian book, but you didn't have to say it in every single paragraph of the book. Every.Single.One There is something called the Austen Effect...I had an overdose. Hence my decision of putting off Austen books for some time.



I read this one and finished it just because of Katherin and Warwick. I wanted to know that everything was going to turn out great for them. Besides, they are the ones who appear at the overview,no silly Robyn. And ther is a reason for it. Why it wasn't only with those two and them books. It would've been better.  I even liked Jace at the end. I feel sorry for Dan. What a catch! What a loss.

You can only ask so much of a book.



View all my reviews

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario